Sunday, July 15, 2012

Recipe: Squash with Garlic and Dill Yogurt Sauce

I started "Meatless Mondays" back in March - over time meatless Mondays turned into Meatless Most every day as I was able to figure out how to get enough protein to avoid the lousy feeling I've gone through every other time I've dabbled in vegetarianism. I was finding it relatively inconvenient to have fresh meat thawed and ready to cook after a long day at the office, training the dogs, training myself and the rest of the duties that come with a busy life. I do still eat meat at restaurants and every once in a while I DO crave a burger (hold the bun) - or ham. Damn you HAM!!! 
So in the new ritual Mondays are now the nights when I go out of my way to try something new. A new recipe, a new ingredient or both. I'll share the recipes that work, I'll mention the recipes that didn't work (a-hem). A lot of my recipes are imprecise, use your tastebuds as you go along -I rarely measure when I cook, which is probably why I pretty much suck at baking!


Here's one that really worked - I'm calling it Squash with Garlic and Dill Sauce, but the same yogurt sauce could be drizzled over chicken, cold cucumbers, steak, scrambled eggs, etc.


Dry Mix:
1 tablespoon dill weed
1 tablespoon parsley
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon course grind black pepper
pinch salt


The dry mix can be made ahead in the above ratio and stored in an air-tight container, however the above proportions mix nicely with a single 6oz cup of greek yogurt. (I personally like the plain from "Green Mountain Creamery")


I cut up three small yellow squash and one zucchini for this recipe steaming them in a non-stick wok. Transfer squash to bowl and toss with yogurt mixture. Easy-Peasy!

Nutrition:
Calories253
Fat3g
Saturated Fat--
Cholesterol11mg
Sodium302mg
Carbohydrates40g
Fiber8g
Sugars31g
Protein19g







No comments:

Post a Comment