Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Recipe: Quick and Easy Spicy Chili

Life is busy all year, but the encroaching darkness of fall evenings nearly always throws me for a bit of a loop. Not enough time and not enough daylight. The dogs still need to get out for a run, I need to get out for a run and all of the neverending list of the other chores that must get done around here. I love quick recipes that can get assembled quickly, taste good and follow 'the rules' that I'm eating by now. No Gluten, nothing processed - whole foods and real ingredients. Chili fits into this model and can be assembled with pantry items! Prep time: 10 minutes, 20 minutes to cook and a mere 30 minutes later you've got yourself some mighty fine chili!

Ingredients:
1.5 cups organic (or natural Pasta Sauce)*
1/3 cup sliced hot peppers **
12 oz ground sirloin (or TVP, turkey or tofu)
1 can goya black beans***
2 tablespoons chili powder
black pepper to taste.

Method:
In large non-stick wok brown ground beef, breaking into small pieces as it cooks.When beef is 'done', add peppers and beans, combine. Add chili powder, tomato sauce and 1/2 cup water.

Simmer for 15-20 minutes and serve. Makes three generously portioned servings.

*I like Amy's Organic 'Family' Pasta sauce, I feel like it's the 'cleanest' jarred tomato sauce option. It's my base for many things tomato.
**I clean and dice hot peppers from my CSA and vacuum pack them for the freezer in crock o' chili sized portions.
*** All Blue-labeled Goya beans and Peas are labeled gluten-free and processed in facilities that are entirely wheat-free.


Nutrition:
Calories357
Fat17g
Saturated Fat5g
Cholesterol70mg
Sodium945mg
Carbohydrates24g
Fiber8g
Sugars5g
Protein30g

No comments:

Post a Comment